FreeBSD System Administration Training
February 7 - 10, 2006
9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Tuesday - Friday
Fort Worth, Texas
Contact us for details or if you need a custom or on-site
The hands-on FreeBSD System Administration class covers the
fundamentals of FreeBSD system administration, including:
installation (i386), system services, installing software packages,
configuring and building kernels, network configuration, and
more. It also covers DNS, email, and web services. The students will
implement DNS zones and Apache website virtual hosting in the lab.
This class is for users of Linux, Unix or BSD operating systems to
provide beginning system administration skills for the popular
FreeBSD operating system. Similarities and differences for many
administration tasks under Linux and other BSDs will be discussed.
This class is designed for students who are new to FreeBSD
administration. Although this course uses FreeBSD for its
curriculum, most of the concepts are applicable for Linux, OpenBSD,
BSD/OS, NetBSD, and Berkeley Unix administration. Some Unix, BSD, or
Linux experience would be helpful.
- interactive operating system installation (CD provided)
- basic filesystem creation and maintenance
- system startup configurations (using rc.conf and rc.d)
- networking setup and troubleshooting
- user and group administration
- logs, syslog and log rotations
- system clock and cron
- periodic tasks
- using kernel modules
- installing new software using ports and pre-built packages
- DNS and SMTP fundamentals
- setting up a DNS caching and authoritative DNS server (using
- Apache HTTPD webserver installation and configuration for
- setting up basic packet filter and NAT (Network Address
- beginning email server configuration (using Postfix)
- Unix security concepts
- basic system "hardening" techniques
- customizing and building the kernel
- updating a FreeBSD system
- Complimentary FreeBSD CD.
- Detailed course curriculum and hand-outs.
- Small classes with one-on-one interaction.
- Hands-on training, one system per student.
- Certificate of course completion.
- US$1560.00 for four-day, hands-on training including lunches, CD and